Renewing Driving License is Easy – Here is the Process
Driving License (DL) is the most important document required by anyone to drive his vehicle freely on the roads as it gives the holder the permission and right to drive.In all states and UTs of India, the driving license is valid for as many as 20 years or until the holder becomes 50 years old. You can easily get your license renewed even after the expiry, as the grace period of up to one year.
As defined by the Indian Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is compulsory for anyone who wants to drive a vehicle on public roads to hold a valid driving license. It is imperative to have the driving license renewed to be able to continue using a vehicle. An expired DL is only valid for 30 days and if you get it renewed after that but within 1 year, you need to pay a penalty. The charges for driving license renewal are around Rs. 200. The fees can vary from state to state.
Here is how to renew your Driving License online:
It is extremely important to provide accurate information while filling up the application form. Also, the documents submitted need to be authentic. A renewed driving license is valid for a shorter duration as compared to the first-issued driving license.
Process below to renew your Driving License:
- Go to the official website of the Parivahan board https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/.
- Now select “Apply Online” on the left side of the menu.
- Then, click on “Driving license Related Services”.
- Select the State from where the service is to be taken.
- Then you will be redirected to a new page; here, click on apply online and then select Services on Driving License.
- You will receive instructions on how to fill in your application form. Read them thoroughly before proceeding. Click ‘Next’ when you’re done.
- Enter your birth date and current license number, pincode, and other details.
- Next, you will come across “Required Services” which will display only those services which are applicable to your existing driving license. You must select “Renewal” from the given options.
- You will then be required to fill in any other relevant personal and/or vehicle-related details given in the form.
- Upload your photo and signature. Remember, this feature is only available for certain states.
- Book a slot for your test if there are changes in your medical certificate.
- Once you follow all these steps, you will be redirected to an Acknowledgement page where you will be able to view your application ID (It is recommended that you print it).
- You will also receive an SMS on your registered mobile number with all the details.
- The amount payable for renewing the Driving License is INR 200. Make the payment via net banking/debit or credit card.
Here is how to renew your Driving License offline:
- Visit the RTO office and collect form 9
- Attach all the necessary documents including NOC letter if renewing from another state.
- Enclose your valid Driving License details as well as a photograph.
- Pay a nominal fee of INR 200 (as per 2018) and book a test slot if there is any change in your medical condition
- Take the exam and receive your Driving License the next day, if you pass…Read more>>