How to set up emergency location sharing on Android and iOS
Smartphones are spectacular for snapping photos, scanning the news, and sending messages, but they can also be literal lifesavers if you take the time to set them up before the need arises.
Both Android and iOS have easy-to-use systems for sharing your location with a friend, family member, or other trusted contact in an emergency. You can even create connections that’ll allow you to check up on loved ones to see if their phone has detected movement lately and then request an automated location update if you’re unable to reach them.
The key to all of this is to configure your emergency system ahead of time so it’ll be available in case an actual emergency occurs. Take two minutes now, and then rest easy knowing your phone’s ready.
The simple option for iOS
If you’ve got an iPhone, Apple offers a built-in Emergency SOS system that gives you a quick way to call 911 (or the equivalent emergency service provider) and then alert a group of predefined emergency contacts — all in one fell swoop.
To start, you need to tell your phone who your emergency contacts are:
- Open the Health app.
- Tap the “Medical ID” tab.
- Tap “Edit.” (If you haven’t yet created a medical ID, you’ll need to do that first.)
- Find the “Add emergency contact” option, and add however many people you want.
Apple’s iOS Health app holds the key to configuring emergency location sharing on an iPhone.
Now, if you’re ever in an emergency situation with an iPhone 8 or later:
- Press and hold the power button along with either volume button, and you’ll see an “Emergency SOS” countdown appear on your screen.
- Keep holding both buttons until the countdown ends.
- Your iPhone will automatically call 911, and as soon as the call disconnects, the phone will text your emergency contacts with your current location.
If you have an iPhone 7 or earlier, press the power button five times fast, then drag your finger across the Emergency SOS slider that appears on the screen to initiate that same process………Read More>>